Director of Development
Marin Agricultural Land Trust permanently protects Marin County's family farms and ranches from development, ensuring that these working lands will continue to provide local food, open range and rich natural habitat for generations to come. Some of the Bay Area's most acclaimed meats, cheeses, milk, fruits and vegetables come from farms and ranches protected by MALT. Since 1980 MALT has protected 48,000 acres of Marin's private farmland, forever; our overarching goal is to protect 100,000 acres by 2040.
The Director of Development (DOD) is a full-time position responsible for creating and overseeing implementation of a strategic fundraising and marketing program that meets MALT’s goals and objectives. S/he is a front-line fundraiser who oversees major and planned giving, annual giving, capital campaigns, and marketing and communications. The DOD is a member of the senior management team, reports to the Executive Director, is the lead staff member on the Fundraising Committee, a member of the Board Governance Committee and has three direct reports—Development Manager, Major Gifts Officer, and Communications Manager.
Strategy and Management
- In close collaboration with the Executive Director and senior management team, establishes fundraising, marketing and communications goals and objectives in support of MALT’s overarching mission.
- Creates and implements a strategic fundraising plan and, in collaboration with development and communications staff, the associated annual work plans and budgets.
- Creates and implements strategies that measure the effectiveness of fundraising, marketing and communications, identifying those opportunities that have not been fully maximized.
- Supports, researches and makes recommendations to Board and Executive Director for potential new board members.
- Leads, supports and develops fundraising, communications, and outreach staff.
- Spends approximately 50% of time on direct donor cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation.
- Oversees annual giving, major and planned giving, and capital campaigns.
- Oversees research to identify individual, business, corporate, and foundation major gift prospects.
- Responsible for developing the fundraising skills of the organization’s senior staff and Board members.
- Supports Executive Director in building key donor relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- At least 10 years of fund development experience.
- At least 2 years of marketing experience.
- Strong leadership and management skills with at least 5 years of senior-level management experience.
- Demonstrated track record in all aspects of nonprofit fundraising, particularly campaign fundraising and major donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Excellent analytical, writing and oral presentation skills.
- Competency in donor database use and management.
- Ability to manage outcomes of multiple, simultaneous projects.
- Ideal candidate is an effective fundraiser and manager who is able to think strategically and imaginatively.
- Occasional evening and weekend work.
This is a full-time, exempt position at MALT’s office in Point Reyes Station. Competitive salary and excellent benefits.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume, cover letter and three relevant writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, no walk-ins, no recruiters.
MALT is an equal-opportunity employer.