Just Announced: New Fiscal Cliff Legislation Restores Tax-free IRA gifts for 2012 and 2013
If you are 70½ or older, we have good news for you. You can roll over money from your IRA to make a gift to MALT----without paying tax on the withdrawal. If you act before February 1, 2013, your gift can be treated as a 2012 donation.
Here is how the retroactive IRA charitable rollover works:
- Transfer up to $100,000 directly from your IRA to MALT without having to pay federal income tax on the IRA withdrawal.
- Act before February 1, 2013, and your rollover gift will be treated as a 2012 donation.
- Make a transfer before December 31, 2013, for your 2013 donation.
- The charitable distribution counts toward minimum required distributions.
- The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your tax return
To take advantage of this opportunity for tax-wise giving, contact the financial institution that manages your IRA account and direct them to make a gift to Marin Agricultural Land Trust using the tax ID number 94-2689383. To learn more about how to roll over your IRA contact Kristine Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org .